Are you looking to progress your career within the waste management industry? Then look no further!
The Waste Contract team within the Environment, Transport and Infrastructure (ETI) directorate at Surrey County Council (SCC) is seeking to appoint a Waste Contract and Project Officer.
About SCC and the Team
Surrey County Council is the Waste Disposal Authority for the County of Surrey. It is responsible for the treatment and disposal of over 500,000 tonnes of waste produced by Surrey’s residents each year and for the provision of Community Recycling Centres.
In 1999, the council signed a 25-year PFI contract with SITA Surrey Ltd (now Suez Surrey) to manage Surrey’s municipal waste and develop infrastructure to increase recycling and divert waste from landfill.
Some of our key achievements to date include:
- Reducing waste sent to landfill from 67% in 2006/7 to less than 10% today
- Providing Community Recycling Centres that consistently score highly in terms of customer satisfaction
- Construction of an Eco Park at Sunbury. The Eco Park comprises a gasification plant to deal with residual waste and an anaerobic digestion plant to deal with food waste.
- Redeveloping a number of Community Recycling Centres and transfer stations to make them more user friendly and to increase operational efficiencies.
Surrey County Council spends around £60 million per year on managing waste which makes it the largest area of spend within the ETI Directorate. The current financial climate means that there is an imperative to improve efficiency of operations, quality of recycling collected and reduce the costs of dealing with our waste. The Waste Contract and Project Officer will work with Suez Surrey to ensure that these and other initiatives achieve the desired levels of savings and also to identify other innovative ways to manage our waste which will reduce costs.
About the role
This role will offer an exciting opportunity for an experienced waste professional to utilise, develop and grow their skills in contract management and the development and implementation of a number of new waste initiatives.
You will be involved in contract managing many of the activities below:
- Operation of Community Recycling Centres
- Management of materials through the Council’s Transfer Stations
- Domestic mixed recycling processing
- New initiatives such as
- Reuse shops
- Chargeable waste scheme
- Van permit scheme
- Residual waste sorting
- Ensuring the health and safety measures are always observed on sites.
To be shortlisted for interview your CV and personal statement will clearly evidence:
- Detailed knowledge of waste management issues including an understanding of the statutory roles and responsibilities of the Waste Disposal Authority, Waste Collection Authorities and the role of waste contractors
- Understanding and experience of contracts and performance management systems
- Understanding of project management principles
- Proven track record of achievements in service delivery and management in areas relevant to the role
- Experience of working in a client or contractor role in the waste management industry
Why work for us?
- Healthy work-life balance; from flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role
- 26 days annual leave (rising to 28 after the completion of 2 years’ service)
- A generous local government salary-related pension
- Option to join car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of, please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff
Interested in finding out more?
For more information on this position please review the job description attached to the bottom of this advert before applying or please feel free to contact Steve Strickland (Waste Contract Manager) via email on firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply?
Please apply via Surrey County Council's recruitment portal by completing a questionnaire, uploading your CV and a supporting statement outlining how you meet the requirement of this role.
Closing date for applications: 20th September 2020 at 23:59.
Interview: Week commencing 28th September 2020 via remote video link.
Please note that Surrey County Council’s headquarters, where this role is currently based, will be phasing a relocation back into Surrey to support our Community Vision 2030.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.Company Information
Our values are what support our vision, shape the culture and are crucial in delivering our corporate strategy.