We are looking for inspirational tutors to deliver learning to adults. If you have a passion for teaching and believe in helping adults achieve their life goals - we want to hear from you! For full list of current subject requirements see paragraph below.
Courses are being delivered face to face in our seven main centres in Guildford, Camberley, Farnham, Woking, Esher Green, Sunbury and Molesey, and remotely in certain subjects.
Surrey Adult Learning delivers more than 3000 courses each year and employs over 200 part time tutors. The role is focused on teaching, inspiring and supporting adult learners to successfully complete their course/qualification and progress towards achieving higher level skills.
We offer a wide range of courses including English & maths, ESOL, Arts & Crafts, Languages, Exercise & Dance, Humanities, Work Skills & IT and Cookery. In addition, we have specific courses run by our Supported Learning, Family Learning, Outreach and Passport to Wellbeing teams.
We offer a competitive hourly rate of £21.64 per hour for most courses, and £25.63 per hour for courses leading to a qualification. In addition, we pay a 15% annual leave entitlement. These rates include preparation time and travelling.
Contractual benefits include a teacher's pension scheme, continual professional development and discounted Surrey Adult Learning courses. A DBS 'Disclosure and Barring Service' check is required for this role and will be discussed further at interview.
This is a zero hours (bank) contract. The amount of work you are offered will depend on our programme and on your availability for day, evening, and Saturday classes.
To be shortlisted for interview, you will need:
- to hold a professional UK teaching qualification, (e.g., minimum of Level 3 Award in Education & Training, or equivalent), although for some subjects we will consider applicants who are able to demonstrate that they are working towards a qualification. You should also be able to evidence and demonstrate qualifications and expertise in your subject area, a love of your subject and a passion for teaching.
- to demonstrate a commitment to providing excellent learning opportunities for your learners and have experience of teaching adults in a classroom environment.
- to be able to adapt teaching and learning strategies and select resources as appropriate to meet learner needs.
- To be confident in the use of IT
You will be supported by a professional and experienced line manager. Online experience is desirable, but not essential for certain subjects. Our tutors ensure that learners are provided with the support to develop and progress their skills, confidence, and employment opportunities through a range of teaching and learning.
We are currently looking for tutors in the following areas:
Languages & Humanities (at our centres) The vacancies are for evening and daytime courses, during the week, and for Saturday courses at our Guildford Centre.
- French – in Camberley, Guildford, Woking, Esher and Molesey
- Spanish – in Camberley, Farnham, Guildford, and Woking
- German – in Camberley, Guildford and Woking
- Italian – in Guildford, Esher, Molesey and Sunbury
- Greek in Farnham, Guildford and Ancient Greek in Esher
- Japanese – in Guildford, online
- Arabic – in Woking, online
- Latin – in Esher
- Psychology – in Guildford
- Work Skills & IT: IT Accredited courses from Entry Level to Level 1, WordPress and web design, Social media marketing, Photoshop, Book-keeping, Business Administration, Apple Mac Skills, Computer programming and coding, Microsoft Office and Digital Skills.
- GCSE English, Functional Skills English*
- GCSE Maths, Functional Skills maths*
- ESOL* – (Camberley, Molesey, Sunbury)
*current experience of teaching the subject in a classroom to adults is essential.
- Arts & Crafts - Pottery, Picture framing and Mount Cutting, Calligraphy, Soft Furnishings (Camberley), Furniture Restoration (Molesey & Guildford), Mosaics (Woking), Sculpture (Woking), Floristry, Jewellery.
- Healthy Living: Experienced Cookery tutors: with specialist skills (i.e., world cuisine) and tutors who may like to deliver evening, Saturdays, or holiday workshops. Movement & Physical Activity tutors (including Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates, Exercise to Music, and all forms of Dance).
- Supported Learning – Computer Skills (Camberley, Guildford), Pottery (Woking, Farnham, Camberley), Creative Art and Craft (Farnham), Cookery (Woking, Guildford, Molesey), Gardening (Molesey).
- Family Learning – are looking for tutors for Wellbeing, Children’s and Teenager’s Anxiety, Children’s Behaviour (including experience of ADHD and autism); maths – from Reception year upwards. Family Learning courses are currently being delivered online. Face to Face teaching, once resumed, will take place in schools and Family Centres across the whole of Surrey.
- Outreach – a programme to support vulnerable adults in the community. This covers a range of courses including wellbeing, arts & crafts, employability.
- Passport to Wellbeing – a programme to support learners with wellbeing difficulties. We are looking for tutors who can provide wellbeing activities such as Arts & Crafts, Pottery and Gardening.
Our values and behaviours are just as important as our skills and abilities. Find out more about the values we follow.
For more information please find the full job description below and refer to this before submitting your application.
Applications are considered on an ongoing basis and if your application is short-listed, we will contact you to arrange an interview, which will include a short micro-teach.
In your application, please make sure that you indicate your subject offer, together with your preferred Surrey Adult Learning Centre/s, available working hours and online delivery experience (if applicable).
If you would like more information about any of these roles, please contact Curriculum Support on firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to offer a subject or skill not listed above, please email us to discuss further.
We look forward to receiving your application.