The salary range for this role is £53,018 - £59,964 per annum based on a 36 working hour week. This is a fixed-term position or secondment opportunity until March 2023.
This role is open to remote working meaning you aren't required in the office 5 days a week. We’re less about you driving to work and more about us collectively driving down our carbon footprint. We care about how you work rather than where you work; the people rather than the postcode. In support of our people and our greener futures strategies, we’d welcome a conversation with the successful candidate on what remote working may look like for you.
With a new Community Vision for Surrey and Organisational Strategy, we’ve made huge strides over the past year, stabilising our finances and developing a transformation programme that will fundamentally change the way we work, for the benefit of Surrey residents.
Our ambitious Finance Improvement Programme is redefining the way we work as partners with the wider organisation. You will be at the forefront of excellent financial management, transformation and income generation; part of a team working to deliver great services to the community and to ensure our finances are sustainable.
You will provide expert analysis and business partnering with finance and non-finance colleagues in order to deliver targets for increased income from external fees and charges and setting up processes with those colleagues to ensure ongoing maximisation of that income.
A fully qualified accountant, you will have knowledge and expertise in commercial finance and analysis. Your sector background is less important to us – what we are looking for is strong influencing skills and a determined mindset to deliver on financial and process objectives.
The role will report to the Strategic Finance Business Partner (Commercial) and the main duties will be:
- Assist with maximising income from external Fees and Charges via a formal timetabled review process considering market movements, inflationary increases, the standard Commercial Rate Card for the Council, and any changes to process to ensure true full cost recovery
- Where possible align the methodology of all Fees and Charges settings to have a uniformed, consistent approach across the Council
- Support a medium-term aim to look at complementary Fees and Charges and how efficiencies and additional revenue-generating value can be delivered through collaborative working, other service signposting, and system and process improvements
- Assist the adoption of the Commercial Rate Card across the organisation with rational provided in areas where it cannot be used
- Ensure terms such as ‘full cost recovery’, ‘overhead recovery’, ‘benchmarking’, ‘costing’ and ‘pricing’ are known and have a common definition across the organisation
- Drive understanding from the organisation that this is an iterative approach and is not time bound into a single one-off review
- Working closely with the Twin Track team that have overall responsibility for revenue budget efficiency targets across the Council
At Surrey, our values and behaviours are just as important as our skills and abilities. They shape who we are as an organisation. Find out more about the values we follow.Additional Information
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 29/06/2022.
Interviews will take place week commencing 04/07/2022.
For an informal discussion please contact Neil Jarvey via email at Neil.Jarvey@surreycc.gov.uk.
We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.