Guildford Borough Council declared a Climate Emergency in 2019 and set a target of being net-zero as an organisation by 2030. While the Council has already undertaken steps to lower energy consumption and emissions from its assets and operations, we are seeking a proactive and passionate individual to continue pushing forward these positive works. As Energy Strategy Officer, you will play a key role in helping us achieve our net-zero goal and will be at the forefront of change within the organisation. You will work closely with our Climate Change team to deliver on the declaration, and in supporting services to act to reduce energy use.
You will manage and analyse energy data and translate findings into key actions to improve performance and provide clear outturn reports on energy usage. You will engage with key officers across the Council to raise energy efficiency standards across our property portfolio and identify the best options for reducing energy-related carbon emissions in a cost-effective way. You will also facilitate new and exciting opportunities for energy demand reduction, including maximising our use of renewable energy driven capital projects. You will ensure we hold quality data that is easy to update and monitor.
Candidates will need to demonstrate strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively. We are looking for someone who has a technical understanding of energy management and some background in energy or utilities management as well as an awareness of climate change and approaches to reducing emissions.
For further details on the vacancy please email Marieke van der Reijden, Head of Asset Management (Climate Change Lead) at Marieke.van.der.Reijden@guildford.gov.uk, including the Post Title in the subject heading.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Develop strategies for effective energy management policies in liaison with key stakeholders and monitor and report on progress made towards achievement of these
- Prepare business cases and project initiation documents for sustainable energy schemes and manage project delivery where appropriate
- Identify and secure grant funding and administer existing funding streams such as the SALIX invest to save fund and submit income claims to support the delivery of energy sustainability management including those that will reduce energy consumption and increase cleaner, more secure energy production
- Manage databases that monitor energy consumption ensuring data is uploaded and up to date and ready to inform CO2 emissions baseline calculation analysis and presentation reports
- Procure and manage contracts for energy management systems and contractors including the Council’s energy data collector and appointed meter operator
- Manage the action plan and reporting of rolling programme of projects to address CO2 reductions on our own estate maintaining excellent working relationships with other Council services that contribute and run these projects
- Progress the Council’s message to improve energy management and sustainability across the borough, maintaining excellent working relationships with key stakeholders, including other local authorities, to identify, develop and deliver appropriate models for delivering CO2 reductions
- Work with our Climate Change Officer to develop and coordinate the action plan required to address the Climate Emergency, including the preparation of any reports or briefings on CO2 and GHG emissions and preparing a detailed baseline regarding building energy performance within the Council-owned buildings
- Answer queries from officers, partners, councillors and other key stakeholders on sustainable energy management
Why join Guildford?
We are a diverse organisation delivering a wide range of services and employing people with an even broader range of skills. We provide excellent training opportunities, including support towards professional qualifications. We offer well established flexible working arrangements including the ability to vary your start and finish times, and work from home on occasion. Other benefits include health and wellbeing initiatives, an employee assistance programme and discount off a range of well-known high street shops and supermarkets.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- Up-to-date knowledge of working practices and methodologies and professional expertise relating to energy management
- Proven experience in being able to interpret data to produce reports presenting clear information to others verbally and in writing
- Ability to take the initiative within the remit
- Experience of working with systems relevant to delivery areas
- Ability to think creatively and utilise research to find solutions to challenges
- Highly organised with the ability to work effectively under pressure, prioritise and meet deadlines
- Proven experience in driving quality services and improving desired results
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with people at all levels.
- Conscientious attitude and attention to detail
- Excellent numeracy and literacy skills
- IT skills
- Experience in producing and implementing policies and strategies
- Experience of translating changes in policy direction into action plans
Guildford is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, shopping and culture set in beautiful countryside that includes the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guildford is a thriving market town and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night time economy. The town’s geographical location provides excellent transport links in all directions, London is just 30 minutes away on the train and the town is well-served by frequent bus routes and subsidised Park and Ride facilities. All of this contributes to a quality of life that attracts many people to live, work in and visit Guildford.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.