The starting salary for this position is £18,594 per annum (pro rata to £23,243 FTE), based on a 28.8 hour working week.
The role is offered as a 12-month fixed-term contract or secondment opportunity.
We are looking for a Wardrobe Assistant (Costume Hire Services Assistant) to work within Surrey Arts Wardrobe alongside the Wardrobe Manager (Costume Hire Services Lead) and a team of volunteers. We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to support the costume hire service and community outreach. This is an exciting opportunity to help contribute to existing projects alongside developing new work to help us achieve our aims. This role requires someone who can forge effective working relationships with a range of internal and external partners.
We would love to hear from you if you share our passion for culture and you would like to help to develop the Wardrobe’s offer to the community.
About Surrey Arts Costume Hire Service
Surrey Arts Wardrobe is a busy costume hire service providing costumes to a wide variety of customers including schools and local theatre groups. Based just outside Guildford we are part of Surrey County Councils Arts Service, aiming to increase people's interest and participation in the arts throughout the County. The collection consists of approximately 20,000 pieces of vintage fashion, military uniforms, period costumes, accessories and handheld props. The collection in the main, grows via donation from Surrey residents though some costumes are made in house; however, the majority of sewing taking place is repairing and maintaining the current stock.
Surrey Arts is an ambitious and forward-thinking organisation that places our residents at the centre of our work. We are committed to developing the service as a genuinely inclusive organisation, fostering a culture of belonging where all are respected and valued and one that meets the needs of the whole, diverse community of Surrey. Equity, diversity and inclusion are central to our organisation, and we are committed to its development at all levels of the organisation as outlined in our EDI strategy.
We have a strong reputation for delivering adventurous and diverse arts programmes across Surrey. Maintaining strong partnerships are vital to the way in which we work, and we have an established network of local, regional and national partners.
In this role you will:
- Administer the daily running of the Wardrobe service, including checking costumes back into stock and returning items back to the rails.
- Provide information and advice to customers about their costume requirements during appointments and process documentation and hire returns.
- Assist in the management of the laundry, care, maintenance and repair of the Wardrobe collection.
- Work closely within the Wardrobe team to assist in the promotion and marketing of the service including generating content for social media and creating costume displays for other locations.
- Assist in supervising volunteers and work placement students as required in the daily running of the Wardrobe.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A background in costume, fashion or the history of dress and a good knowledge of the chronology of dress history.
- An eye for creative design and outfit styling.
- Sewing and repair skills, and the ability to work with delicate fabrics
- Excellent customer service skills and an open and friendly manner.
- Good communication skills across a range of contexts (email, telephone, face to face).
- A good knowledge of basic IT software packages (Excel and Word) and social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter etc).
- Good organisational and time management skills, and the ability to work well under pressure, both within a team and independently.
- Experience in planning and delivering workshops and educational outreach programmes.
There is a physical aspect to this role. Use of ladders and lifting and carrying of stock will be expected.
Some flexible working (including occasional weekends) and willingness to travel throughout the county may be required, therefore a valid clean diving licence and the use of a vehicle would be helpful.
At Surrey, our values and behaviours are just as important as our skills and abilities. They shape who we are as an organisation. Find out more about the values we follow.Job Details
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 31st August with interviews to follow in the week commencing 12th September 2022.
An enhanced DBS ‘Disclosure and Barring Service’ check for regulated activity (formerly known as CRB) and the Children’s and Adults’ Barred List checks will be required for this role.
For an informal discussion please contact, Susan Dinmore, Costume Hire Services Lead, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.