Surrey Schools SLT service is seeking an innovative and outcome-focused Specialist Speech and Language Therapist (NHS band 6 equivalent) to cover maternity leave, working within our specialist schools supporting children with severe learning difficulties and dysphagia in South West Surrey.
We can offer you:
- Salary starting of £33,614 per annum – for five days a week, 42 weeks per year (term time + 3 weeks of holiday working) pro-rata to £36,282
- Full-time (52 weeks per year) or part-time working
- Flexible working options
- We pay your fees for RCSLT membership and HCPC
- Mobile and agile working solutions
- Comprehensive clinical supervision programme including a buddy, 1:1 meetings with line manager, extensive internal and external training opportunities, access to clinical effectiveness groups, case study groups, termly study days, encouragement to join and attend CEN’s relating to practice
- Opportunities to develop management skills by taking on line management of Assistants or experienced PS8/Band 5 Therapists and students. Training and support is provided
- Local government salary-related pension, discounted child care vouchers and the option to join the car lease scheme. For more information, please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff
Our SLT Service is part of Surrey’s local offer to support the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities of children and young people within mainstream schools and specialist provision. This Service is part of the Inclusion and Additional Needs Team and as such works collaboratively with other teams such as Educational Psychology, learning and language support, REMA and Behaviour Support.
- The Surrey SLT service is a large team (over 150) of both qualified Therapists and non-qualified Therapy Assistants.
- We have excellent supervision and CPD models plus a rolling in-house training programme
- We have been working with the RCSLT and Reading University around the dysphagia competences linked to student placements
- One of our Therapists was voted People’s Choice in the Surrey Stars Awards 2022 receiving over 500 votes showing how well the service is regarded in the organisation
We aim to deliver the right support at the right time through assessment and intervention, and equipping families and professionals with the skills and resources to work together to help and support children with SLCN. We offer universal, targeted and specialist support for children, families and the school workforce, and work with children and young people with EHCPs and those at SEN support following Surrey’s Graduated Response.
About The Role
Your main duties in the role of Speech and Language Therapist will include:
- Clinical decision making in conjunction with school/college staff around the level of support needed to achieve the best possible outcome for the children and young people on your defined caseload
- Working with Assistants, setting targets for the children and young people they are supporting, and monitoring of the delivery and outcomes of their work
- Assessment, advice and intervention for children with a range of speech, language and communication needs within your caseload.
- Supporting junior members of the team, line managing others and taking on students
We are looking for Therapists who:
- Want to extend their clinical expertise and independent clinical decision making
- Are looking to support the development of the therapy team and service
- Have a recognised SLT degree in Speech and Language Therapy and a minimum of 2 years’ experience including: specialist level Dysphagia competency and knowledge/skills in the area of AAC
- Are registered with the HCPC and RCSLT
The closing date for this advert 1st February 2023, although we will be looking at applications as they come in and may shortlist in advance of the closing date, we therefore encourage an early application.
Interviews will be online via Microsoft Teams.
For an informal discussion please contact Peter Berrill (SW SLT Area Lead) via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.