The starting salary for this role is £24,977 per annum, based on 36 hour working week.
Do you have a passion and flair for cooking for groups? Would you enjoy cooking for our guests and being an important part of their outdoor learning experience? Are you a good supervisor?
We have a perfect opportunity just for you!
We are seeking experienced Cooks to lead shifts in the kitchen at our busy outdoor learning centres. This is a hands-on role, delivering freshly prepared, healthy meal options for our visitors.
Who are we?
Surrey Outdoor Learning and Development (SOLD) is a provider of high-quality Outdoor Learning programmes. We are committed to inspiring and engaging young people and adults, improving and enriching personal and social development and raising achievement, success and aspirations in life.
Being a Cook with SOLD is a really varied position, requiring good organisational skills, sound catering knowledge and experience in a busy kitchen.
You will lead the shift, prepare, cook, and serve our guests who range from school children through to adult groups. Each day is different, so adaptability is key to meet the ranging needs of our groups: providing tasty, quality food - with a smile!
From time to time, we deliver themed events which will bring your creative skills to life! Serving and cooking outdoors are all a part of these exciting events which add to the variety of this role.
Other areas of responsibility include staff mentoring, ordering, menu planning and stock control.
8-hour shifts between the hours of 7am to 8pm and subject to the groups visiting. This role also includes some weekend work.
Our centres are located at:
- High Ashurst, Mickleham, Dorking, Surrey, RH5 6DQ
- Henley Fort and Angel Blue, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 4RH
- Thames Young Mariners, Ham near Kingston, Surrey, TW10 7RX
You will be scheduled to work at your local centre where possible, High Ashurst being the main base during winter. High Ashurst and Henley Fort are in remote locations, so please consider your transport arrangements.
What are we looking for?
- Leadership skills which are positive and motivating with effective communication.
- A holder of, or working towards, Food Hygiene L3.
- Experience of cooking for large groups and catering for a wide range of needs.
- Excellent planning and time management skills with ability to work using own initiative.
- Positive and solution focussed.
What are the benefits of working at SOLD?
- Playing a valuable part in the outdoor learning experience for our guests.
- Training, development, and ongoing support.
- Working amongst a friendly and dynamic team.
- Working with a range of customers and projects.
- Working at 3 unique centres in beautiful locations.
- Health and wellbeing staff benefits.
- Local government Pension Scheme - contributions range from 5.5% to 12.5% of pensionable pay based on earnings.
- Family and lifestyle discounts to include discounts on food shopping, cinema tickets, weekends away, holidays, gifts, etc.
- Employee assistance programme.
- Access to further courses and training.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 17.12.2023.
Please don't delay in applying, as we will be monitoring applications throughout the application period and arranging interviews with suitable applicants.
An enhanced DBS 'Disclosure and Barring Service' check for regulated activity (formerly known as CRB) and the Children's and Adults' Barred List checks will be required for this role.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.