This role has a starting salary of £13.76 per hour week (including annual leave allowance of 15%).
We are excited to be hiring new Supported Learning Assistants to join our team based at the Guildford and Sunbury Adult Learning Centres.
Surrey Adult Learning provides a wide range of part-time day and evening courses to adults. Within this, the Supported Learning Team offers a programme of daytime courses designed to give adults with learning disabilities (LD) the opportunity to develop their independent living, personal and employment skills.
Rewards and Benefits
- Annual leave allowance
- An extensive Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) to support health and wellbeing
- A generous local government salary related pension
- Continual professional development
- Lifestyle discounts including gym, travel, shopping and many more
- Discounted Surrey Adult Learning Courses
About the Team
Surrey Adult Learning's vision is to change people's lives through inclusive and inspirational adult learning. The Supported Learning Team's intent is to contribute to the SCC Community Vision 2030 and SAL Strategic Priority by providing opportunities for adults with learning disabilities to enable them to enjoy more independent lives, express their creativity and learn new skills.
About the Role
As a Supported Learning Assistant (SLA), you will assist the tutor with their responsibility for the management and delivery of the teaching, learning and assessment process. A key part of the role is to help learners build confidence, independence and social skills and encourage them to participate fully.
This is a zero hours (bank) contract. The amount of work you are offered (during term time only) will depend on the current vacancy. There is no obligation on Surrey County Council as your employer to provide you with a guaranteed amount of work. A typical course will run for 2 hours per week over three 10-week terms.
To be considered for shortlisting for this position, your application will clearly evidence the following:
- Experience of maintaining records and keeping systems up to date, alongside good IT skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, whilst being able to remain calm and confident in difficult situations
- Ability to use your initiative to contribute to class activities appropriately, as well as being able to provide additional support and assistance to learners and to maintain confidentiality in and outside the workplace
- Ability to manage your time effectively, as well as being able to work as part of a team contributing to class activities with a flexible and cooperative working style
An enhanced DBS 'Disclosure and Barring Service' check for regulated activity will be required for this role.
Please contact us for any questions relating to the role. This could be to discuss flexible working requests, transferable skills or any barriers to employment. For an informal discussion please contact:
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 18/02/2024. Interviews will be planned on an ongoing basis and suitable candidates will be contacted to arrange an interview.
We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.