We are seeking to appoint a level 1 Caseworker for an interesting, varied and challenging role supporting the work of a busy planning casework team. As a caseworker you will have a crucial role in validating and processing a wide range of planning applications. We are looking for an individual with commitment, a high level of energy who can continue to achieve excellent performance and accuracy whilst providing a first rate level of customer service.
What you’ll do on a typical day :
- Answering email and telephone enquiries about planning matters
- To process applications including allocating reference numbers, acknowledging receipt of applications, notifying neighbours and consultees and checking payments.
- Validation of planning applications including general consultations and obtaining additional information. Liaising with agents, applicants and other stakeholders.
- To prepare for the Planning Committee agenda and produce committee presentations, in conjunction with planning case officers and team leader.
- To check the accuracy of reports and lists of applications prior to publishing.
- Opening and distribution of incoming post and sending of outgoing post.
- Redacting and publishing documents, adhering to data protection and GDPR.
- To ensure team filing, all application paperwork and electronic records are kept updated and well organised.
- To assist with the administration of the appeals process liaising with all necessary interested parties ensuring deadlines are met and statements sent on time. This includes administrative support for hearings and public enquiries where required.
- To plot Local Land Charges, including Section 106 Notices and Tree Preservation Orders on the QGIS mapping system.
- To carry out any additional duties or functions, commensurate with the grade, as may be requested by management.
What you will need to succeed:
- Strong team working skills
- A good level of education, includes GCSE (or equivalent) in English and Maths Grade C or above
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- High level communication and presentation skills including clear, concise reporting and correspondence particularly concerning complex or controversial issues.
- Continually seek to develop your competence in a variety of IT systems and packages
- The ability to communicate with people of different social, economic and professional backgrounds.
What’s in it for you?
With some 700 employees, we are a diverse organisation delivering a wide range of services and employing people with an even broader range of skills. We are eager to attract the best so we provide excellent training opportunities, offer well established flexible working arrangements including the ability to vary your start and finish times where the business allows work from home and take extra flexi days (by agreement). We also offer many other benefits including health and wellbeing initiatives and discount off a range of well known high street shops and supermarkets.
A basic Disclosure and Barring Service check is required for the successful applicant prior to appointment.
If you would like to know more about the opportunity please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 25/02/2024 Interview date: To be confirmed
Guildford is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, shopping and culture set in beautiful countryside that includes the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guildford is a thriving market town and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night time economy. The town’s geographical location provides excellent transport links in all directions, London is just 30 minutes away on the train and the town is well-served by frequent bus routes and subsidised Park and Ride facilities. All of this contributes to a quality of life that attracts many people to live, work in and visit Guildford.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.